All board members should be familiar with all of the following information:
Tax Information for Charities & Other non-profits
Florida Laws, rules, and regulations
- Articles of Incorporation
New bylaws coming soon.
- PLAN STRATEGICALLY toward the future
- ESTABLISH POLICY that guides Florida Atheists and articulates the values that frame future strategies
- ADVOCATE for and champion Florida Athesits’s cause
- FUNDRAISE AND GENERATE REVENUE to ensure that Florida Athesits the organization is financed properly, now and in the future.
- Determine Florida Athesits’s Mission and Vision
- Select the Officers
- Ensure effective organizational planning
- Track progress toward meeting the results defined by the strategic plan
- Provide for the availability of adequate resources
- Oversee the effective management of resources
- Approve and monitor Florida Athesits’s programs and services
- Enhance Florida Athesits’s public image
- Assess its own performance
- Fulfill the roles and responsibilities of board members described above.
- Attend meetings. Attend at least 75% of all Board meetings (in person or by phone.)
- Attend standing committee meeting if a member. Attend Board development activities as appropriate.
- Review the agenda and supporting materials prior to Board and committee meetings.
- Serve on committees and take on special assignments, as needed.
- Personally contribute to Florida Atheists or raise funds, as agreed upon annually by the Board.
- Remain informed about Florida Atheists’s mission, services, and policies.
- Promote Florida Atheists within the community.
- Keep up-to-date on issues pertaining to Florida Atheists
- Provide support and advice to the President.
- Suggest nominees for Board membership
By accepting board membership a board member is committing to honor the following code of conduct:
- As a board member, I shall do my utmost to ensure that the Florida Atheists performs its mission and achieves its goals.
- As a board member I agree to:
- Act with honesty and integrity
- Support in a positive manner all actions taken by the board of directors even when I am in a minority position on such actions. I recognize that decisions of the board can be made only by a majority vote at a board meeting and respect the majority decisions of the board, while retaining the right to seek changes through ethical and constructive channels;
- Participate in board self-evaluation programs, and board development workshops, seminars, and other educational events that enhance my skills as a board member.
- Keep confidential information confidential.
- Exercise my authority as a board member only when acting in a meeting with the full board or as I am delegated by the board.
- Work with and respect the opinions of my peers who serve this board, and leave my personal prejudices out of all board discussions.
- Always act for the good of the organization and represent the interests of all people served by the organization.
- Represent this organization in a positive and supportive manner at all times.
- Observe the parliamentary procedures and display courteous conduct in all board and committee meetings.
- Refrain from intruding on administrative issues that are the responsibility of management, except to monitor the results of the organization.
- Accept my responsibility for providing oversight of the financial condition of the organization.
- Avoid acting in a way that represents a conflict of interest between my position as a board member and my personal or professional life, even if those actions appear to provide a benefit for the organization. This includes using my position for the advantage of my friends and business associates. If such a conflict does arise, I will declare that conflict before the board and refrain from voting on matters in which I have conflict.
- Abide by these board operating procedures.
I understand that this policy is meant to supplement good judgment, and I will respect its spirit as well as its wording.
Operations, Policies and Procedures Manuals